Friday 1 March 2013

'Genres' of Interviewers – sharing experiences


Whenever we receive a call for job interview, we get a little excited and when it’s for the first time in your life then you may end up in juggling with hope, concerns and dreaming. We all are accustomed to do a modest research about the company, its portfolio, job description, salary negotiations and so on before arriving at an interview. In Pakistan, usually we do not get any information prior to the interview that who will be the 'interviewer'.

Every time the situation ignites me; since it remains veiled who will I encounter now, how he/she will judge me for the job, what questions I am going to face and even how will I answer. I take it all as somewhat audacious. It can also serve as a blueprint to remain confident and get over some defficile stages of your interviews. You too need to weigh up the company you are going to serve on the basis of the interview. Though, it was actually conducted to assess you. After all, interviewers are also human beings. *****Sticky note for today J*****


My first interviewer was an urbane gentleman who encouraged me on my skills. ‘I possibly will do something awe-inspiring in my career’, I truly felt at that time, notwithstanding the fact that I was a fresh business graduate. Excellence be to the interviewer who is willing to spill optimism into the society. Unfortunately, I couldn't join that company due to some unavoidable factors but I was positive enough to keep my job search rolling. A good day to recall!

Soon after that, my interview was scheduled in one of the Big Four accounting firms.  I was waiting in high spirits. At last, interview began. Ah! I was disappointed after only a couple of minutes. Their body language, face expressions, voice tone everything was only to express that you are N-O-T-H-I-N-G and we are GIANT. I feel sorry for them as they do not even know the basic rules of HR and Management. Human beings cannot be ‘calculated as numbers’, my poor advice for all firms with this attitude.

My headmost step towards a software house was very productive where I was able to point out where am I lacking and how can I cover it up. Interviewer was a young nice lady. I faltered that day but the good thing was that she taught me how to reply to a particular question (of course in an indirect way). Although I was not qualified for the job, but I still feel good about the company. I will register that experience as the most learning one.


You may come across some other colors of the stripes. Nothing to worry about, just capture this short span of interview as a precious point to learn what is not taught in classrooms. And yes, do not forget to show your gratitude to those interviewers who make you learn something and inject energy in you for further interviews.

"Every time you meet a situation you think at the time it is an impossibility and you go through the tortures of the damned, once you have met it and lived through it, you find that forever after you are freer than you were before."
~ Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment